Britain’s Top 50 Gastropubs
Pubs across the country may still be closing at an uncomfortable rate of knots each month but one sector is getting it right – the gastropub. It’s now the tenth year of the Estrella Damm Top 50 Gastropubs Awards, voted for by the hospitality industry, and for the fourth year in five The Sportsman in Seasalter, Kent has taken top spot. Another perennial at the top end of the list – The Freemasons at Wiswell in Lancashire – has moved into the top three.
There were fifteen new entries to the list this year and here is the Top Ten.
1) The Sportsman, Seasalter, Kent
2) The Coach, Marlow, Buckinghamshire
3) Freemasons, Wiswell, Lancashire
4) The Star Inn at Harome, North Yorkshire
5) Harwood Arms, Fulham, London
6) Pony & Trap, Chew Magna, Somerset
7) The Hardwick, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire
8) The Beehive, Maidenhead, Berkshire
9) The Pipe and Glass Inn, South Dalton, East Yorkshire
10) The Red Lion and Sun, Highgate, London
The three specialist awards for 2019 were Front of House Team of the Year to The Punchbowl at Crosthwaite in Cumbria; Newcomer of the Year to The Boat Inn at Lichfield and Gastropub Chef of the Year to Stephen Smith from The Freemasons at Wiswell in Lancashire, number three on the Top 50.