Frangipane – Bistrot Pierre
With Bastille Day on Saturday and France in the World Cup Final on Sunday, what better time to try your hand at this classic French dessert. This recipe for Warm Baked Pear and Raspberry Frangipane with Vanilla Crème Fraîche and Toasted Pistachios is from the chefs at Bistrot Pierre, the home of great-value provincial French cooking. Check below for a Bistrot Pierre near you:
Ingredients (Serves 5)
50g Fresh raspberries
75g Tinned pears
100g Unsalted butter
90g Caster sugar
75g Ground almonds
18g Plain flour
10g Almond flour
2.5ml Almond essence
12g Flaked almonds
5g Baking powder
1g Cooking and table salt
15g Toasted pistachios
200g Crème fraîche
25g Icing sugar
1 Vanilla pod
1. Whip the butter and sugar together until pale and light.
2. Add the whisked eggs, a little at a time and stir in the almond essence.
3. Sift the flour, salt and baking powder together and fold into the creamed mixture with the ground almonds.
4. Butter a pudding basin and dust with almond flour.
5. Divide the drained and diced pears and raspberries equally into the base of each pudding basin. Add the almond mixture until it fills three quarters of the basin.
6. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes at 175°C until golden brown.
7. Remove from the pudding basin and place in a dessert bowl.
8. Serve with vanilla crème fraîche and a sprinkling of toasted pistachios. To make the Vanilla crème fraiche, remove the seeds from the vanilla pod then thoroughly mix the crème fraîche, icing sugar and vanilla seeds in a bowl and leave to chill in the fridge until the frangipane is cooked.