Dip Into World Vegan Month
November isn’t just November. Or even Movember. It’s also World Vegan Month and to help you cater more creatively, the Vegan Society has put together some recipes for you to try. Here’s a vegan starter for starters:
Giant Tortilla Chips with Rainbow Dips (serves 6-8)
For the chips:
Tortilla flatbread – allow 1-2 per guest. White, brown, multigrain or corn are all fine.
1 tbsp sunflower or rapeseed oil
Juice of 1 lime
Sea salt and black pepper
To make the tortilla chips:
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
2. Mix the oil and lime juice together in a small dish. Cut the tortillas into wedges (1 tortilla makes 8).
3. Arrange on the baking sheet and brush with the oil and juice.
4. Sprinkle with either salt and pepper, or cumin, or paprika and bake for 8-10 minutes until crisp but not too brown.
5. Cool on a rack.
For the dips:
1 small raw beetroot
1 300g/10 oz tub hummus
2 tsp cumin seeds
1. Trim, peel and finely grate the beetroot.
2. Stir into the hummus along with the cumin seeds.
Hot Mango Dip
1 ripe mango
1 small preserved lemon
1 tsp harissa paste
1. Peel the mango and chop the flesh finely.
2. Chop the preserved lemon finely.
3. Combine these with a teaspoon of harissa paste.
1 125g/4 ½ oz tub unflavoured vegan yoghurt
1-2 tsp ready-made mint sauce.
Mix the mint sauce into the yoghurt.
½ small red onion
10 cherry tomatoes
1-2 tsp vegan pesto
1. Peel and chop the red onion finely, place in a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave to stand for 10 minutes, then drain.
2. Put the tomatoes into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until chopped but chunky. Place in a sieve to drain for a couple of minutes, then transfer to a mixing bowl and stir in the onions and pesto.
1 ripe avocado
2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
3 tsbp chopped fresh coriander
1. Peel, stone and mash the avocado.
2. Add the nutritional yeast, zest of the lime and coriander.
3. Mix well, transfer to serving bowl and squeeze a small wedge of the lime over the top.
Chill all the dips until ready to serve.